11/02/2013

Sweet and Sour Pork Belly with Apples


And it's February already! Have you seen it coming? Me, not really. I guess I was just too busy to realise the weeks were going by. February being the shortest month of the year, I guess I will hardly see this one go by either.
I remember being a kid, thinking everything takes a long time to happen: summer holidays to arrive, being allowed to do "grown up" things... And now I'm in my 30's and keep wondering, where has all this time gone by. I guess that's me getting old...er.

Plus February is cold, the school holidays will make my schedule even busier, and I will get bothered by all the lovey dovey stuff going on around Valentin's day. So we might aswell switch to March, where at least I know I'll have a few days off.
But let's not jump the gun, as a child my favorit movie was "Dead poets society", and I still try to do my best on the carpe diem motto. It's just easier on some days.

So I don't know if this fits the whole "let's eat healthy" approach to this new year, but it's a recipe I really enjoyed. I kept reading in british magazins recipe combining pork and apples, so I try to have a take on it. I'm a big fan of sweet and sour dish, though I wouldn't have it on the weekly basis, but more because of the calories than of the taste, because I though it worked very well together.

Sweet and Sour Pork Belly with Apples


Serves 1

1 Slice of Pork Belly, preferably unsalted
2 Tablespoons of Soja Sauce
3 Tablespoons of Honey
3 Tablespoons of Water
1 Clove of Garlic
1 Small piece of Fresh Ginger
2-3 Apples (I used braeburn)
1 Teaspoon of All Spices
1 Tablespoon of Fresh Chive

Prepare the marinade first: in a small bowl, using a spoon, stir the soja sauce, the honey and the water together. Peel the garlic and remove the root inside, dice it or use a garlic crusher and add it to the previous mix. Peel the ginger (about the size of the tip of your thumb) and grate it into your marinade.
Pour your marinade over the pork belly, and leave it for at least 2 hours in it, turn it over half way thru.

Preheat the oven to 170°C. Place the pork belly in the oven, with the marinade, and baste it every 10 minute or so, turn it a few times aswell and cook it for about 30 minutes, until it has a nice color.

Peel and core the apples, cut them into cubes. Place a pan on a low to medium heat, start cooking the apples with the teaspoon of all spices, leave the lid on and stir every now and than, cook for about 20 minutes, slowly.

To serve, place the pork belly on the cooked apples and sprinkle with some freshly chopped chive.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire