06/04/2012

When you need comfort...


Things don't always turn out the way we expect them to, do they? For instance, as a child, between many other things, I wanted to grow up to be Indiana Jones. Well, let me tell you, even if sometimes I do wear a hat, I still have no skills with that kind of whip (though, thinking about it, I'm not too bad with a kitchen whip) and I don't get chased by giant boulders on a daily basis.
So when my holidays plans got cancelled due a strike, dissapointment was in order. Anything keeping me away from my favorit city and a great concert can hardly be seen as positiv. But nevertheless, I was, and still am, on holidays. So I'm trying to make the best out of it.

As much as I try to make things out of the ordinary, in order to feel like I'm actually on holidays, when I got to my kitchen and kitchen books, I suddenly had a craving for something very familiar: the linzertorte.
I guess we can say it's some sort of jam tart, very traditional from around here. But I've recently seen an italian dessert that looked a bit similar, so I'm guessing many countries have their own version of it.
A version of the recipe has been published in a recent number of Saveurs magazine, but once again I've taken Betty Bossi's recipe, because unlike air traffic controllers, she has never failed me.

Linzer Torte ( based on "Betty Bossi Back Buch")


For 1 Tart

250gr of Butter, at room temperature
200gr of Sugar
3 Eggs
200gr of Almonds, grounded
50gr of Chocolate, gratted
1/2 a Lemon, zested
1 Teaspoon of Kirsch (Cherry Liquor)
1/2 a Teaspoon Cinnamon
1/2 a Teaspoon Cloves, grounded
1/2 a Teaspoon of 4 spicies 
1/2 a Teaspoon Salt
200gr of Flour + 3 Tablespoons
200gr of Raspberry Jam

Whisk the butter and the sugar together until it's white and creamy, than add 2 eggs, the almonds, the grated chocolate, the lemon zest, the Kirsch, and the all the spicies. Combine well.
Add gradually the flour, until you have a dough. Take 3/4 of the dough and roll it out to place it in a tart or pie dish that you have buttered.

Preheat the oven to 200°C.

Fill the pie up with the raspberry jam. Take the rest of the dough and add 3 tablespoons of flour, combine well and roll out to cut out the stripes that will cover the pie. You'll need about 10 stripes, 5 for each way, about 1cm thick.
Place them in a checkered pattern on the jam. Use the remaining egg to make an egg wash, and brush the dough with it. Place it in the oven for about 45 minutes.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire