16/03/2012

The sun is shining, let's leave the oven off


This belongs to the serie "I should know better by now": this week my mum went to a shop where I only go rarely, but they have a nice organic section and it's one of the only place around here that sells agar-agar (yes, I live in the countryside). So when she told me she was going there, I asked her if she could bring me back a small pack, as I only had a few grams left.

Guess who came back bearing a big triple pack of agar-agar? Yes, my mummy. I wonder if all mums are the same? I guess the great ones are. This is not a first actually, as we are neighbours, we sometimes borrow what we're missing next door, and for a couple of hundred grams of flour she brings me back a whole kilo pack afterwards...(No exaggeration for comical purpose here, this really happens)

So with all the agar-agar I have now, I think it's time to invest in a cookbook that has been on my whishlist for quite some time. But in the meantime, let's go for something sweet, I have cooked enough meat lately. I have been willing to try a cheesecake recipe with no cooking involved, and I bought small individual baking rings for that purpose a few months ago.

Even if it envolves some hammering, I like buying a fresh coconut. Always make sure there still is water in it by shaking it when you buy it. For opening it them, I guess there is no "subtle" method. I use a philips head screwdriver and a hammer to take the water out, and then I place it in a plastic bag and go outside to bang it on the sidewalk, if something got you upset that day, this should take all your frustration out!

No Cooking Fresh Coconut and Lime Cheesecake

For 2 Individual Cheesecakes

1 Coconut
1 Lime
4 Cardamom Seeds
500gr of Cream Cheese (I used a local one, but philadelphia will do)
2 Tablespoon of Brown Sugar
4gr of Agar-Agar
50gr of Ginger and Cinnamon biscuits (Speculoos)
25gr of Butter, melted

Place the biscuits in a plastic bag and crush them with a rolling pin, until you have a thin powder. Place this powder in a bowl, and combine with the melted butter.
Using a baking ring (10cm diameter) line the side with baking paper. Place the ring on a plate and using a spoon, make a layer on the bottom of the crushed biscuit with butter.

Using a pointy object (like a screwdriver) and a hammer, pierce thru at least two of the "eyes" (the black dots) of the coconut to pour the coconut water out in a bowl. Once all the water is out, place the coconut in a plastic bag, and (preferably outside) hit it on a hard surface to break it. With a sharp knife, you can cut out the flesh of the coconut, set it aside.

In a pan, pour the coconut water thru a sieve in it, add the lime zest and the juice aswell. In a pestle and mortar, crush the cardamom seeds to break the shelves, take those out, just leaving some little black seeds, crush those some more in the mortar, before adding them to the pan, with the 2 tablespoons of sugar.
On a medium heat, start warming up that fruit syrop, when it bubble a little, add the agar-agar, and using a whisk, combine everything well until it comes to the boil. Set aside to let it cool a little.

In an other bowl, put your cream cheese and whip it a little, than using a vegetable peeler, add some shave of fresh coconuts (to your taste, but I'd say about 30gr). When the fruit syrop is a little cooler, add it to the cream cheese and combine it with a whip.

Now using a spoon again, fill up your baking ring with the fruit cream cheese and try to make the top even. Place in the fridge for at least 4 hours, but overnight is even better (maybe place some kitchen paper around the ring, as it can lick out some liquid).

Using a sharp knife, go around the ring to release the cheesecake, serve with some lime zest on top.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire