12/02/2012

Passion Fruit Entremet for a little bit of sun


I wish the temperatures would rise a little now, I wish I could get my point across more often, I wish my family stays healthy, I wish my job to be a little less stressfull sometimes, I wish my plane will be able to take off next week, for me to experience above zero weather and a good concert.
I think it's human nature to want what you don't have, but also to wish for the best, even if it's the worse that awaits us around the corner. And then I guess it takes wisdom, to make the best out of what is happening, no matter how bad it is.

There's so many things that are out of our control, that handling the ones we can is really our only option. Unfortunately there's nothing I can do about the freezing temperatures, but I can try to bring a little sunshine to the sunday family lunch.
I'm in charge of desserts around here (I wonder how that happened...), so to have the illusion of white sand beaches, palm trees and a blue ocean, tropical fruits seemed like the only way to go.

Like it happens sometimes, with very different results, this recipe is not from a book. I'm not saying it's very original or that it hasn't been done before, but it's just what I imagined with what I had at hand. After so many years of baking, sometimes I feel confident enough to try.
This turned out to be very appreciated at the family table, which reminded me that sometimes I can do things right.

Passion Fruit Entremet


for the sponge cake
130gr of Sugar
6 Small Eggs (4 if they are big)
2 Tablespoons of Hot Water
140gr of Flour
1 Pinch of Salt
Butter (to grease)

for the passion fruit mousse
500gr of Fromage Frais (or Philadelphia)
7 Passion Fruits
100ml of Water
75gr of Brown Sugar
25cl of Cream
4gr of Agar Agar

for topping
1 Mango
2 Tablespoons of Coconut Flakes

Preheat the oven to 200°C.

Separate the egg yolks and whites. Whip the egg yolks with the sugar and the 2 spoons of hot water, it has to get paler and you have to incorporate a lot of air. Pass the flour thru a sieve and whip it in.
Whisk the egg whites with the pinch of salt to a soft peak, combine with the egg yolks mixture very carefully, using a spatula.
Grease your baking tray with butter (20x30cm in this case), pour the dough and even the surface with the spatula.
Place in the oven for 10-11 minutes. It should be a nice golden color, leave it to cool in the tray.

Cut the passion fruit open and pass the flesh thru a sieve, I've used my pestle to get as much out of it. I had about 100ml of passion fruit juice.
In a sauce pan, heat up the passion fruit juice with water and the sugar. Using a whisk, add the agar agar, and whisk until it starts to bubble, set aside to cool a little.

Whisk the fromage frais a little, add the passion fruit sirop and combine well. Pour the cold cream in a bowl, and using an electric whisk make some whipped cream.
Now using a spatula, combine the whipped cream to the fromage. Set aside.

Tip the sponge cake on your worksurface, using a cake ring, cut the sponge cake to the desired size (in this case 18cm diameter).
Place it on the service dish and cercle the cake ring around it tightly. Pour the passion fruit mixture in it, and even the top. Place in the fridge over night.

The next day, sprinkle over the coconut. With a long sharp knife, run around the cake ring before opening it to release the entremet. Cut the mango into slices and place them on top of the entremet, keep it in the fridge until you serve it.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire