26/02/2012

From Ladyfingers to a Tiramisu


Everytime I get asked if I want coffee or alcohol, I give the same answer: "No, thank you, that's for grown ups". Now that I'm in my 30's, I feel like I should enjoy those things, but no, my tastes buds do not seem to cooperate.
Though I like the smell of hot coffee, I just find it too bitter for my taste. I'm a tea kinda girl (not even the strong ones) which is supposed to be an old person drink, or on rare occasions, I'll enjoy a hot coco, which is mostly for kids. As often in my life, I don't manage to get the right middle, even when it comes to hot beverages.

So when I choose to make a tiramisu for this week end, I decided to make it my own way and skip the coffee part. Not that there's anything highly original in this version, pears and chocolate are always a winning combination, but it's also why I like tiramisu, like any good recipe, it can be adapted.
You are going to be surprised, as this dessert is actually made for real grown ups, it includes alcohol (thank you mum and dad for lending me the bottle) that you can skip if you prefer.

I wouldn't be writting a food blog if I wasn't slightly crazy about food, so guess who got up at 7:00AM to bake her own ladyfinger? Yes, yours truly. Why? Well it's a long story, it includes a broken internet connection, a garage and a portuguese grammatical exercise... Go figure ;)
It is easy doing them on your own, though it makes the recipe a little more time consuming. I prefer to do everything a day ahead, so the tiramisu can wait in the fridge and infuse it's flavors overnight.

Ladyfingers


makes about 50

5 Eggs
125gr Sugar
125gr Flour
50gr Icing Sugar
Salt

Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line your baking tray with parchement paper.

Separate the egg yolks and white. Whisk the egg yolk with 90gr of sugar for about 5 minutes, preferably with and an electric hand or standmixer. When it's well combined, add the sieved flour and keep whisking for a few minutes.

Add the pinch of salt to the egg white, and whisk them to a soft peak, half way thru add 35gr of sugar. Add just a spoonfull of the egg white to the egg yolk mixture to soften it a little. Than add the rest of the egg white and combine carefully.

Using a piping bag with a big opening, lay down the lady finger on the tray, about 8cm long, leave some space in between, they will rise while cooking.

Put in the oven for 15 minutes. Let them cool on a rack.

Pear and Chocolate Tiramisu


Serves 6 to 8

3 Eggs
100gr of Brown Sugar
1 Tablespoon of Vanilla Sugar
250gr of Mascarpone
about 25 Ladyfingers
1 Big Tin of Pears
3 Tablespoons of Pear Schnapps
25gr of Cocoa Powder
1 Teaspoon of Ground Cloves

Open the pear tin, pour everything into a larger bowl, add the pear schnapps and let them macerate for a few hours. Then, take the pears out but keep the liquid. Cut the pears into little cubes.

Separate the egg yolks and whites, whisk the yolks with both sugars until well combined. Add the mascarpone and keep whisking for a while.
Beat the egg whites to a soft peak and combine them carefully with the egg yolk mixture.

Plung each ladyfinger into the pear pin sirop with the schnapps and make one layer of them, placed tightly on the bottom of the service dish.
Using half the pears you've cutted into cubes, make one layer of them on top of the lady finger, try to spread them evenly.
Now pour half of the macarpone cream on top and make an even surface using a spatula.
Make the same thing one more time: one layer of ladyfinger, one of pears and than pour the rest of the mascarpone cream on top.

Mix the cocoa powder with the ground cloves, and using a sieve, sprinkle it on top of the tiramisu.
Cover it with cling film and leave it in the fridge at least 6 hours, but preferably overnight.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire